Photo of Professionals at McConnell Wagner Sykes + Stacey PLLC

How to file a wage claim

Have you experienced wage theft in Idaho? What did you do? Wage theft is when an employer fails to pay employees wages that they are entitled to. Wage theft includes overtime violations, meal break violations, minimum wage violations, tipped minimum wage violations, and off-the-clock violations. Once an employer fails to pay your wages or benefits, you can file a wage claim. Every state has labor laws that protect employees’ working conditions. A wage claim will help you collect all your unpaid wages.

Be timely and gather all facts

According to employment law, wage claims between an employer and an employee are placed with the Labor Commission Office. However, before filing a wage claim, you need to follow some steps. First of all, ensure the claim is filed timely. Here are some guidelines to follow to make sure that your timeline is correct:

  • Within a year for checks that bounce
  • Within two years for a minimum wage violation
  • Within three years for a meal break, minimum wage, sick leave, and overtime violations
  • Within four years for a contract

Secondly, you need to gather all the important details. The address and the name of the company are some of the essential information to gather. Apart from the employer, any supervisor or manager can also be liable for unpaid wages. Moreover, provide a list of all the hours you worked at the premises. You can also include all meal breaks and overtime hours that you worked. You should also keep your pay stubs safe since they are your wage statements.

Which documents are required to file a wage claim?

While filing for a wage claim, you need to submit a copy of each of the following documents:

  • A copy of your working time records
  • Paystubs that shows the wages you were paid
  • Any checks that bounced
  • Your employment information

If you submit wage theft by your employer, do not wait to address the situation. If you contact an attorney, he or she can help you to file a wage claim.